The City Archive
What can I find in the archive?
The City Archive preserves all documents of historical value produced in the city administration.
Holdings:• Charters, the oldest of which dates back to 1355. Virtual Archive
• City Council protocols in uninterrupted succession from 1553 to the present day
• Urbare, border descriptions, chronicles and taiding books
• Magistrate administration until 1918
• Account books of the Bürgerspital from 1588-1795
• Guild archives (trade regulations, apprenticeship certificates, etc.)
• Historical photographs
• Maps and Plans
• Poster collection
• Files from clubs ans associations
• Archives of the incorporated municipalities
The inspection of archival records of the City Archives is free of charge, but only possible with prior appointment.
Our town archivist Peter Fraundorfer, MA will be happy to assist you with your research.
If you are unable to come to the City Archives yourself, you are welcome to commission an archive search. However, this is subject to a fee.
For questions and appointments please contact